About Me

My photo
United States
I am a M.A. in industrial/organizational psychology. Most of my experience has been in human resources and change management. My passion lies in employee assessment, organizational development and employee opinions. Website: www.IanMondrow.com LinkedIn Profile: http://linkd.in/drBYoC

Thursday, August 26, 2010

No company has the same vocabulary

All week, I have been participating in a nationwide training program and today the lesson was covering organizational design. The information covered the strategy and the design. However, I found myself absolutely annoyed! All the strategy tools seemed to be a form of mind-mapping but with restrictions. In addition, the instructor was using words I have never heard of to explain the structure. I finally approached the instructor and explained my perspective. Her response was,"No organization uses the same words and you just realized that you need to be able to identify what they are speaking of."

Wow! Something so simple.... yet so complex. We are creatures of habit and therefore when we learn a word or method, we like to stick with it. As a human capital expert, I must be able to enter an organization and quickly learn their lingo. In addition, I need to be able to explain my vocabulary to executives so that I do not come off too academic.

As you finish this article, be sure to engrain this in your brain. You may need to know it if you decide to enter the industry of consulting or decide to obtain a position at a new organization.

No comments:

Post a Comment